There’s nothing better than a cup of tea, especially when the tea has been brewed in a state-of-the-art kettle.
And while there are many electric kettles to choose from, we believe that every tea enthusiast should own their very own stovetop kettle.
Not only are these kettles a great alternative to electric devices, but they also come in a range of gorgeous designs and are ideal for any kitchen.
Unlike common kettle, stovetop kettles will often come with a built-in whistle, which will tell you when it has started to boil.
This is because stovetop kettles do not switch themselves off automatically, which means you need to be more vigilant when making your morning cup of tea.
However, they are still a great alternative to electric kettles and will last a lifetime with care and compassion.
While most tea kettles can be used on any stove, there are some that have problems with induction cooktops, which is why we have decided to compile a list of the best tea kettles available for online purchase.
We have tested these kettles personally and they are suitable for all kitchens and budgets. By checking out our guide, we hope you will be able to choose the best one for your purposes.
Just take a look down below and see which one of these amazing tea kettles catches your eye.
OUR TOP PICK
For the first product on our list, we have chosen this beautiful tea kettle from Le Creuset, which features a timeless design that is perfect for any kitchen.
Considered one of the cheaper Le Creuset items available, this stainless steel kettle comes with an enamel finish that makes it convenient and easy to clean.
It also comes with a built-in whistle to let you know when the water has boiled.
The kettle also features an ergonomic lid and heat-resistant handle, which means you can pick it up without scalding your hand.
While the kettle is durable and built to last, it also comes with a limited depth, which will only produce 3 - 4 cups of tea.
Fortunately, we have selected other kettles with larger capacities down below.
- Whistle Included: This beautiful tea kettle comes with a built-in whistle, which will alert you when the water has boiled.
- Stainless Steel Design: Made from durable stainless steel, the tea kettle comes with an enamel finish and is available in a range of colors.
- Heat-Resistant Handle: The kettle’s ergonomic handle is heat resistant, which allows you to maneuver the product without burning your hands.
- Suitable For All Kitchens: The kettle’s versatile nature means that it can be used in any kitchen and is compatible with countless stovetops.
- Small Capacity: Despite its various pros, the kettle does not boast a large capacity and will only produce 3 - 4 cups before it needs to be refilled.
This amazing kettle from Premier Housewares is one of the most affordable appliances on the market and promises to generate a large amount of delicious tea.
Made from durable stainless steel, the tea kettle is available in a range of beautiful colors, which range from traditional black to candy red.
Beyond this, the kettle is available for a reasonable price and boasts a classic design that will pair perfectly with any modern kitchen aesthetic.
However, this does not mean that the tea kettle does not come with its drawbacks, as the overall look of the product is rather simple and pales in comparison to some of the other kettles on our list.
So if you are searching for something a little more flashy, this reliable kettle may not be the one for you.
- Reasonable Price: The kettle comes with numerous features and can currently be purchased for a cheap and affordable price.
- Different Color Options: Made from stainless steel, the kettle is available in a range of beautiful colors, which include black, green, and red.
- Large Capacity: In contrast to the previous kettle on our list, this product boasts a large capacity and can produce delicious tea.
- Ergonomic Handle: The kettle’s handle features an ergonomic design and can be held securely while pouring the water.
- Simple Design: Despite its many features, the kettle boasts a rather simple design and is not as flashy as other available products.
This hob kettle from Alessi is one of the best premium kettles on the market and features a stunning design complete with a custom whistle.
Made from stainless steel, this beautiful kettle was originally designed by Michael Graves and comes with a cute whistle in the shape of a dragon.
Presented as a good luck charm, the dragon was manufactured to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original Alessi design, which is known for its bird-shaped spout.
Despite its stunning appearance, the kettle also comes with a range of useful features and is compatible with all stovetops.
The only downside is that the kettle contains a capacity of 200cl, which means it will not produce a substantial amount of tea when hosting parties and crowds.
- Compatible With All Hobs: Because of its versatile design, the tea kettle can be used in any various kitchens and is compatible with all hobs including induction.
- Designer Product: The tea kettle has been manufactured from stainless steel and comes with a commemorative whistle in the shape of a dragon.
- Eye-Catching Appearance: Thanks to its unique design, the kettle comes with an instant wow factor and promises to spark many conversations between you and your friends.
- Light Design: The kettle weighs a total of 2.04 pounds, which makes it easier to maneuver and pour.
- Limited Capacity: Despite its many pros, the kettle comes with a limited capacity, which means it will not produce a large amount of tea.
This well-designed kettle has been released by OXO and includes a range of special features that make it one of the best kettles available on the market.
Capable of heating up 2 quarts of water, the kettle has been made from stainless steel and features a silicone handle for easy pouring.
The kettle also comes with touchpoints on the lid and sides, which help to protect your hands from scalding.
When using this kettle, it can take 3 minutes for the water to boil, although it will need to be reheated if you are in the mood for a second cup.
Despite being portable and easy to clean, the kettle could be considered too large for some people and may not be suitable if you only drink 1 - 2 cups of tea a day.
- Silicone Handle: The tea kettle comes with an ergonomic silicone handle that helps to make pouring easier.
- Boils Water Quickly: Because of its industrial design, the kettle should only take 3 minutes to boil, which is a lot faster than other products.
- Easy To Fill With Water: Thanks to its swivel handle, you can fill the kettle with water without the usual obstacles, which helps to make the overall process much easier.
- Large Size: Despite its many features, the kettle’s large size could prove a problem for some customers, as it may not be suitable for small households.
- Will Need To Be Reheated: Once you have boiled the kettle, the water can turn lukewarm within an hour, which means it will need to be reheated if you want to make another cup.
This gooseneck kettle has been produced by Chefbar and is capable of holding up to 4 cups of water.
The kettle has been made from stainless steel and features a heat-resistant handle for easier pouring.
Because of its slender spout, the kettle can pour water smoothly, with the lid including three openings for accurate thermometer readings.
Ideal for herbal teas and pour-over coffee, this kettle also comes with a built-in temperature gauge and can be heated to the exact temperature that you need.
Of course, the product does come with its drawbacks, which include the design of the spout and its strange metallic smell.
While the spout helps to make the pouring process much smoother, it can also be difficult to clean, which could result in rust and limescale buildup.
However, the gooseneck kettle is still a great investment for any tea enthusiast who lives on their own.
- Gooseneck Spout: Because of its slender design, the kettle’s gooseneck spout helps to make pouring easier and drip-free.
- Temperature Gauge In The Lid: The kettle comes with a temperature gauge built into the lid, as well as three openings for thermometer readings.
- Ergonomic Heat-Resistant Handle: Along with its unique design, the kettle also boasts an ergonomic handle that is resistant to heat.
- Strange Metallic Smell: When using this kettle ourselves, we found that it produced a strange metallic smell as it started to boil.
- Hard To Clean: Because of its gooseneck spout, the kettle can be difficult to clean, which could lead to other problems in the future.
The idea of buying a kettle may sound like a simple task, after all, every kettle has been designed for the same purpose.
However, there are some certain elements that should be taken into consideration before purchasing a new tea kettle.
Elements that will help to ensure that the kettle meets your needs and provides you with the services you have been looking for.
Down below, we have outlined some key points that should be kept in mind when it comes to purchasing a new tea kettle. By consulting these points, you will be able to select the perfect kettle for your purposes, saving both time and money.
When the time comes to make your morning cup of tea, you don’t want to spend a long time waiting for the kettle to boil, which is why boil speed should always be considered when purchasing a new kettle.
In most cases, the tea kettles that boil the fastest will tend to feature a wide base that conducts heat well.
However, this does not mean that a stove kettle will boil faster than an electric kettle, although recent models have come close.
Glass kettles will usually take the longest time to boil, as the water needs to be heated up slowly to ensure the glass doesn’t break.
So while glass kettles can look attractive in modern kitchens, they are not the best for making tea in a rush. That is why we recommend using stove kettles, as they are faster and do not require electricity.
As you have probably surmised, capacity is an important factor when it comes to choosing a tea kettle, especially if you live in a large household.
These days, most tea kettles will offer an average of 2 quarts, although there are some models that boast larger capacities capable of providing up to 3 quarts of boiled water.
When purchasing a new tea kettle, it is important to remember that a large capacity will often equal a heavier appliance, which could be difficult for people who suffer from weak muscles and sore wrists.
If you plan to store your kettle when it is not in use, then you will need to measure the dimensions of your cupboard, as large tea kettles can take up a lot of space.
Cleaning your tea kettle can be a simple process, with some of the best tea kettles being dishwasher safe when placed on the top rack.
Like any kitchen appliance, tea kettles will come with their own set of instructions, which will recommend the best methods for cleaning the product.
However, it is not advisable to leave water in your kettle for long periods of time, as this could discolor the interior and produce limescale.
If you live in an area known for its hard water, then you may need to clean your kettle on a regular basis or put a filter over the tap or water source.
While most tea kettles now feature heat-resistant handles, it is still recommended that you purchase a kettle with rubber, silicone, and plastic features.
This is because non-metal handles will not conduct heat, which will make the kettle easier to hold and use.
However, if you do decide to purchase a kettle with a heat-resistant handle, then we advise using a potholder to hold it.
Some of the best tea kettles on the market now come with heat-resistant handles, with some models even sporting protective coatings on the lid and spout.
In most cases, tea kettles are made from either stainless steel, glass, or enamel, with stainless steel being the most common.
Because of this, you will want to make sure that your kettle is made from high-quality steel, as this will confirm whether it will succumb to rust in later years.
High-quality stainless steel kettles are known for their longevity and are quite easy to maintain.
Enamel-coated tea kettles can often be identified by their beautiful finishes, which means you can purchase one that matches the aesthetic of your home.
They usually come available in bright colors and are both durable and portable. Apart from glass, enamel is the least prone to rust and can commonly be found on stove kettles.
If you are purchasing a tea kettle for the purpose of making pour-over coffee, then you will need to find a product that features a controllable spout with continuous flow.
For example, some kettles are designed with gooseneck spouts, which provide a smooth flow and classic look. While others boast short spouts that sit close to the kettle’s exterior, which is ideal for a more optimum pour.
Nowadays, the majority of tea kettles come with built-in whistles, which alert you when the water has boiled.
However, there are also some tea kettles that do not feature whistles, which means you have to stay vigilant and close to the kettle at all times.
So if you would prefer to put the kettle on and finish some chores, you will need to purchase a kettle with a high whistle, as this will allow you to hear the kettle from another room.
In most cases, tea kettles that do not have built-in whistles are prone to damage, as they cannot be left on the stove for long periods of time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Cheaper To Boil An Electric Or Stove Kettle?
Though the answer might surprise you, it is actually cheaper to boil your water in a stove kettle rather than an electric one.
While the difference is very slight, the same rules would apply whether you are using a stovetop or an electric appliance.
In both cases, you must always make sure that your kettle is filled with the correct amount of water, as this is much more energy-efficient.
What Are The Safest Materials For Tea Kettles?
Most kettles are made from stainless steel, cast iron, borosilicate glass, and copper, as these are the safest materials for boiling water.
For example, glass does not leech any flavors into your tea and is arguably the best material for kitchen appliances.
These materials are also non-reactive and do not contain any dangerous chemicals. In fact, they are favored for their sterility and ability to conduct heat.