If you are into brewing your own coffee at home, then you might already have noticed how long the whole process takes. If you are using a filter machine or a drip coffee machine, then you’ll surely be frustrated by the length of time that it takes.
This is where your pour over coffee maker will really make the difference. These cups will sit on top of your regular cup and drain effectively into the vessel below. All you need for this filter is a few paper filters and a kettle full of hot water.
These coffee filters are usually made from porcelain, which means that it will help you to steam your coffee and keep it warm for longer. You can also get glass filters, which will help you to drain the coffee and makes it easier to clean afterward. You can also get a pour over coffee maker that comes with a timer.
You can also get pour over coffee makers that are made from metals. This will help to conduct the what in much the same manner as a kettle would. If you like to keep your coffee piping hot from the kettle to the urn, then we would suggest that you have one of these pour over coffee makers.
So where can you find the best pour over coffee makers? What features will it need to have to give you a great pouring experience? What is the best material for a really good coffee maker? How much will you be having to pay for a decent pour over coffee maker? How long will one of these last you?
Well, if you are a coffee obsessive, then we would recommend that you keep reading this article. We have compiled a list of some of the best pour over coffee makers on the market, along with a buyer’s guide that will help you to decide what the best coffee maker is for your needs.
Best Pour Over Coffee Makers
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
First, we have a pour over coffee maker that is very reliable, coming from Japan, who are the kings of brewing coffee.
This is a very elegant one-piece design that you can be certain will give you everything that you need for a decent pouring experience.
This is durable and will last you a very long time - introducing the Hario V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper.
This comes with a ceramic design that you can be sure will retain the heat throughout the entire brewing cycle.
It comes with a conical design that uses triangular filter papers that will ensure that the coffee circulates properly, giving you everything that you need for a fully brewed and flavorful coffee.
- If you want your coffee brewer to be a conversation starter, then this is the one for you. With an amazing design, you can be sure to get tongues wagging.
- This model is very easy to use, all you have to do is allow the coffee to slowly drip down into your cup.
- This comes with a single hole in the center which will increase the quality of your brew and give you everything you need for decent flavor.
- You can have plenty of brewing options with this pour over coffee maker. You can brew it slow and steady for a strong flavor or quickly for a lighter flavor.
- This might be slightly delicate to use if you are more adapted to complicated coffee brewers.
Next up, we have a coffee brewer that is made from metal, which will not only make it more durable, but will also be easier to clean and will retain heat for a lot longer.
This comes with a rubber handle that makes handling a lot easier - introducing the Kalita Stainless Steel Wave 155 Coffee Dripper.
This is one of the best coffee makers to have if you are concerned with keeping your coffee hot and having an efficient brewing time. It comes with a conical design that will help the coffee aerate and give you a nice strong brew at the end.
This comes with a rubber handle that you can be certain won’t let the heat from the coffee travel.
- This is one of the most durable coffee makers that you can get. You can guarantee that this one will last you for years.
- Because it is made from stainless steel, then this coffee maker will be very easy to clean. It is also dishwasher-friendly, which will cut down on cleaning time.
- This comes with three draining holes, which will make the whole process a lot easier and quicker on the brew.
- All you need for this is some filter paper and a hot kettle. The pouring time is very quick and easy.
- This might be a little too heavy for most users, especially those that have mobility issues and find it hard to lift a full urn.
Next up, we have another ceramic option which is very cheap and will give you plenty of heat and durability.
This fine porcelain design is very easy to clean afterwards, with a single hole in the middle that makes for easy, condensed brewing - introducing the Kuissential Ceramic Coffee Dripper.
Because this is made from ceramic, then you won’t have to worry about any cheap plastic odors transferring from the urn itself to the coffee itself.
With the cup design, you can be sure that the coffee will have time to brew, giving you a nice and strong cup of joe at the end. This is great for anyone who likes that pick-me-up in the morning.
- Because this is made from ceramic, then you won’t suffer from any heat loss when your coffee is transferred from the urn to the cup.
- This coffee maker will give you the freedom to brew your coffee at whatever strength that you see fit.
- You won’t need that many tools to make your coffee in the morning, all you’ll need are some paper filters and a kettle in which you can boil your hot water.
- You even get a coffee scoop with this model, which is great if you are looking to get a very precise measurement of coffee.
- This might not be as durable as some of the metal models, and ceramic is prone to breaking.
Next up, we have a plastic coffee brewer that you can be sure will get rid of all the coffee granules that sometimes sneak their way into your cup.
This comes with a ribbed edging that will reduce spills and allow you to control how much coffee eventually gets into your cup - introducing the Clever Coffee Dripper.
If you are struggling to clean your coffee maker after you have used it, then you won’t need to worry any further. You can take this coffee maker apart easily and put it in the dishwasher, saving you precious minutes of cleaning by hand.
This comes with a release valve so that you can drain the coffee when you feel it is sufficiently brewed.
- This is a plastic urn, so you can be sure that it will be durable and very easy to clean after you have used it.
- This can be placed in the dishwasher or washed by hand, cutting down on the amount of time that you’ll be having to clean up afterward.
- This comes with ridges that will help you get the most from your coffee and also help to reduce the number of spillages.
- You can collapse this urn, which makes it a great travel companion. Because why shouldn’t you enjoy nice coffee when you are out on vacation?
- Because this is made from plastic, then you might get some residual taste effects after you have used it the first few times.
Finally, we have another single-cup plastic brewer that you can be sure will deliver you a solid cup of coffee no matter how much you use it.
This comes with a brewing cup that sits snugly on the top of your coffee cup, which will reduce spillages and coffee granules that will get in your cup - introducing the Melitta Ready Set Joe Single Cup Pour over.
This coffee pour over will definitely be fine when you put it in the dishwasher, giving you everything that you need for a decent cup of coffee. This is a single-piece design, so you won’t have to worry about it breaking apart.
This also comes in a range of snazzy colors, so you can distinguish it from your regular cup.
- This is a very simple design that is very easy to use. All you have to do is drain the coffee through the filter and the cone and you’ll have a great coffee.
- This comes with ridges that will help you keep the filter in place and prevent a large number of granules from getting into the final cup.
- If you want maximum heat retention, then this is a great coffee filter to have. All you’ll need is a few filters and a hot kettle.
- This is great for cleaning afterward - all you have to do is pop it in the dishwasher and it’ll be completely clean when you come back from work.
- This is also made of plastic, so you might get a certain taste from the residue that is left from your plastic coffee urn.
Our final coffee filter we would describe as a luxury model, coming with a lid and a see-through design that will really help you to see how well your coffee is brewing.
This is ideal for anyone who is particularly choosy when it comes to how strong or weak they like their coffee - introducing the Clever Coffee Dripper.
With the clippable lid, this coffee maker will really cut down on the spillages that you might get on your kitchen counter. Coming in a range of amazing colors, then you can be sure that you’ll find one that will blend in well with your kitchen decor.
This can also hold a lot of coffee, perfect if you like a big steamer in the morning.
- This coffee maker is one of the best when it comes to brewing a lot of coffee very efficiently. This will make you enough filter coffee for 2 people!
- This comes in a plastic case that will be easy to wash by hand or put in the dishwasher. This will definitely get rid of those pesky coffee grinds.
- All you need with this coffee maker is a few filters and a kettle full of hot water. You won’t have to worry about the plastic melting or warping the plastic either.
- This comes with a shut-off valve, which will help you control the amount of coffee that gets into your cup.
- This might be slightly too expensive for anyone who likes the occasional coffee. We would only recommend this model for the die-hard coffee aficionados.
If you are in the market for a new coffee urn, then there’ll be a few things that you’ll want, although this will depend on how much coffee you like to drink and how strong you like it.
Here are a few features that you’ll want to have for ease of cleaning:
How Easy Is It To Use?
Brewing coffee is no easy task, and you’ll be looking for something that you can wrangle easily, producing the amount of coffee that you need.
If your coffee brewer has valve control, then this will be even better, as you can shut it off when you want coffee to stop pouring.
How Does It Prevent Spillages?
If your coffee brewer comes with a lid, then you’ll definitely have fewer spillages. Having a lid on the coffee urn will also help you to keep the heat in.
You can also get a ridged design that will catch the granules so that they won’t end up in your drink. There’s nothing worse than sipping your coffee and having to pick bits out of your teeth.
Is It Easy To Clean?
Another thing that will definitely help you decide which is the best coffee grinder for your needs is how easy it is to clean. If you can wash it by hand, then that will be very important for cutting down on your dishwashing time.
If you have spent the last few hours grinding and rinsing your coffee through the coffee grinder, then the last thing you’ll want to be doing is washing it by hand.
We would definitely recommend that you buy a model that you can simply throw in the dishwasher, go to work, come back and then be ready to use!
What Material Is It Made From?
You can get plenty of coffee filters that come in all different shapes, sizes and materials, each one will affect the brewing in a very different way. If you have a metal urn, then you can be sure that it will keep your coffee warm for the longest.
A metal coffee maker is also very durable, although you might experience a metallic taste in your final cup.
You can also get plastic and porcelain coffee makers. The plastic version will definitely be the cheapest and easiest option to use, although we would recommend that you buy a decent plastic filter, otherwise it might warp in the dishwasher.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Coffee Should You Put In A Pour Over?
We would recommend that you only put a few scoops of coffee into your filter coffee maker. Keep the coffee to water ratio between 1:15 and 1:17, otherwise, your final coffee will be way too strong for your needs.
How Can You Make Your Coffee Stronger?
All you’ll need to do is experiment with the brewing time, which can often be controlled by a valve at the bottom of your urn.
Make sure that you are brewing your coffee for at least 10 minutes, although if you want it stronger, then you should brew it for longer.
We would also suggest that you figure out what kind of coffee you are going to use before brewing. You can get coffees that are very strong, even if you brew them for a short period of time.
Make sure you check the brewing instruction on your coffee before putting it in your filter machine.
Our Final Say
We hope that our list of some of the best pour over coffee makers has helped you decide which is the best model for you. Make sure that you have the right material, as this will affect the final taste and strength of your brew.